One day while driving along with the kiddos, we passed two women running together on the sidewalk. Evelyn was all excited and yelled, "Look mommy, cool runner girls like you!!" :)



Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I survived :)

Well -- I made it -- I survived my mini-triathlon tonight. I must admit -- the open water swim was a bit scary. The beach we swam at on Lake Washington is supposed to be around 70 degrees right now -- but the water felt painfully cold. However, adrenaline kicked in -- along with my fear of not finishing/drowning -- so I had no choice but to start swimming.

Believe me, I couldn't have been happier when the swim portion was complete. It was all downhill from there (not really -- it was a pretty hilly bike ride -- but you know what I mean). Biking and running are comfortable sports for me and I finished those portions within a decent time.

I learned a few things:
1) I need to do more open water swims for practice -- totally different than the pool.
2) I need to drink more after the swim/during the bike portion -- I got a horribly painful side stitch at the end of the run that was probably due to dehydration.
3) The transition from bike to run is tough -- your legs feel like jello for the first couple minutes.
Here is a photo before the swim:
Photo of my transition area (where I return to between race legs to put on cycling shoes, bike helmet, running sneakers, etc) This area will be teeny-tiny during the actualy triathlon -- we were all very spread out today which made it much easier.
I will be sleeping like a baby tonight!! :)

8 comments:

AJ said...

Congrats, that is totally impressive! Especially on a week night!!!!!

Kara said...

Congratulations!! How tiny is teeny-tiny? Will you get run over by other bikes...yikes!!!

Also, Cambrie does leave her ear rings alone. At this age, she gets upset when I clean them, but other than that she goes about her business. She looks so darn cute with them in. I am just glad to get them done young.

Melissa said...

Way to go!

Melissa said...

Good job! I wish I had the motivation to do something like that!! Maybe someday :)

Brianne said...

You are amazing! I'm glad you made it through the swimming portion. The lake is freezing! I can only go in up to my calves. I'm impressed that you actually swam in it :-).

Liz said...

Wa-hoo! I'm so proud of you! You're a rockstar momma!

Unknown said...

Congrats!! I am so happy for you!!

The Wi Family said...

Way to go!!! That is so awesome-and how nice that you can do a mini before the real thing.