One day while driving along with the kiddos, we passed two women running together on the sidewalk. Evelyn was all excited and yelled, "Look mommy, cool runner girls like you!!" :)



Tuesday, September 8, 2009

"Finding Ways to Bring Life to Your Passion"

As much as I loved and enjoyed the challenge of training for the triathlon, I couldn't help but have a little bit of guilt about the whole thing, too. I felt guilty taking so much time for myself when I could/should be spending more time with the family, doing chores, working on baby books, etc. I do most of my work-outs at night (after the kids' bedtime) or early morning (before work), but sometimes I still get a pang of guilt when I spend some extra time going to a class at the gym or heading out for a run... and if I am not taking time for myself I immediately feel frustrated and overwhelmed by everything else that is going on, and don't feel like I have time to do anything...

I found something great this morning though... I read Kristin Armstrong's blog (Lance's ex-wife) on the runner's world website all the time. All the moms (or wives) with guilt (and/or excuses) about their "extra" activities need to check out this post -- she is a very talented writer - and so inspiring. I loved the last part: "Remember what you love to do... Let your children see you do your thing. Let your friends come watch you. Let your husband fall in love again with that cool, interesting chick he married. Let yourself be you."

Not sure if Travis loves me any more after the triathlon... but I guarantee that I am a much better & happier wife/mother/daughter/employee etc. because I am able to fit training/exercise into my routine... and that makes me happy :)

4 comments:

The Wi Family said...

Great article! Thanks for sharing! There are so many things that I want to be able to do--guilt is not what keeps me from doing them....but this inspired me to work harder to find the time to do more!

alanna rose said...

I needed that...thanks!

Super cute pics of the kiddos on the carousel :)

AJ said...

That's what I tell myself about work, when I feel guilty about being away so much. It's teaching the kids that women belong in the work place just as much as men, and you can do anything you put your mind to. Sometimes an extra reminder, and coming from someone else, is nice though. I'll have to check out her writing!

Kara said...

Awesome article. I totally agree with it. Lately I have been thinking about taking up running again. It has been a while, but I think I need an outlet like we talked about. Tonight I plan on going on a "faced" pace walk with the kids. I'll put them in the wagon and go. I figure it is a way to get them involved in me working out and taking care of myself :)