One day while driving along with the kiddos, we passed two women running together on the sidewalk. Evelyn was all excited and yelled, "Look mommy, cool runner girls like you!!" :)

Monday, June 7, 2010

Stubborn & Competitive... A Dangerous Combination

I will preface this story by saying that I had a painful run on Thursday evening (and it was only a 3 mile run). My heel/arch on the underside of my right foot started hurting... so after about 1.5 miles, I just walked home. I took Friday and Saturday completely off (hoping to heal up a little bit). My initial race expectation/goal was to finish at or under a 10min/mile pace for the race. With this pain I was having... I was starting to feel a little uneasy about that goal.

Race recap: The course was beautiful -- started out in Sequim in somewhat farm-country... open roads, beautiful views... from there it went into the woods for a while. We ran over a few streams on wooden bridges... ran under a "canopy" of evergreen trees for a while... beautiful running views! The last 5 miles of the race is right along the waterfront into Port Angeles.

I felt great the first 3 miles. After mile-marker 3 I started to feel a little tenderness in my right foot. After mile-marker 6 the pain was considerably worse. But -- I was able to maintain just under a 10-minute-mile pace this entire time. At mile11 I thought I was just running through the pain and doing okay... but as I was running up a hill between 11 and 12 I heard a "pop"... it was so painful/shocking to my system that I screamed outloud. I slowed down and tried to maintain a walk/run for a few yards.

It was at this point in time that my stubborn/competitive side took charge and pushed common sense aside. I decided that I didn't train for this event just to have a "DNF" (did not finish) next to my name. I decided that I was on track to reach my goal -- and I wasn't ready to let that go. So -- I ran the last 2 miles -- burst into tears at the finish line -- and went immediately into the medical tent. They gave me ice, a bunch of ibuprofen, and told me to see a doctor on Monday.
I still didn't really care that I was injured -- I was successful!! :)
I saw a sports medicine specialist/podiatrist today and his diagnosis was that I ruptured my plantar fascia. OUCH! I am not supposed to do anything (but swim) for at least another 3 weeks until I see him again. In the meantime -- I am icing, elevating, on anti-inflammatories, going to physical therapy, might have to wear a "boot"... UGH! I'll keep you all updated.

On a happier note -- here we all are at dinner Sunday night -- I LOVE Buca di Beppo's!!


Melissa said...

That's quite an experience....but you did it! Congratulations on completing your first half marathon. Now just take care of that foot so you can be back up on your feet again soon. I've had plantar problems myself and it's not something you want to mess with.

AJ said...

You ladies look beautiful for having just run all that way!

I love Buca's too. They make the best chicken marsala, garlic cheesebread, and tiramisu, I've ever had. Hands down!

Kara said...

I am totally tearing up right now. I am so proud of you, Michelle. Congratulations on accomplishing a great goal. I hope your foot gets better quick. Hope to catch up more this week. I miss you!!!

The Wi Family said...

So sorry about your foot!!! :( That is no fun but way to go for finishing the race! Your kids are getting so big--I guess it really has been forever since we've seen you....

michelle ahn said...

wow wow wow - so proud of what you set out to achieve - and achieved !!! i do hope your foot heals quickly and w/o complication. sounds like you will be taking it easy these next few weeks (besides swimming!) - take care of yourself <3

Brianne said...

Congratulations on finishing the race! I can't believe you heard your foot pop! Ew! It sounds like a really fun weekend and a beautiful course.